Saturday, August 16, 2008

Wittlich Pig Fest






Wittlich (pronounced with a "V") is about 20 minutes down the Autobahn from us and every August they have Pig Fest. Here's an explanation of the festival that I found:

According to legend, Wittlich was once a walled fortress constantly under attack by invaders. One evening, a guard in charge of locking the gate to the besieged town could not find the peg to secure the fortified door. All he could find was a large carrot to wedge in the door. Later, a pig ate the carrot, the gate opened and the enemy came in. After the enemy ransacked the town, the angry townspeople herded every pig into the town’s market square and roasted them. Since then, the town of Wittlich has been known as the town of the pig burners. Once a year, the community of Wittlich holds an annual festival that attracts thousands of visitors.

We got there right as the parade was starting and then walked around checking everything out. We stopped by a booth to get some candy, I have never seen so much gummy candy in my life! The pig roasting freaked me out a little, the kids didn't get it at all, lol. It was really warm and we saw some German kids playing in a water fountain so I figured, why not, and let Kristian splash around for a while. Enjoy the pics!

1 comments:

Emilee said...

I'm so happy you put all these new udates on your blog! Okay, so I want to come visit you now, is that okay? I took the kids to the pet store and thought I was pretty cool. Ummm....maybe when I can say, "do you want to go to the castle today?", that would have been true. I agree with Becca, though, and wish you were still here, or better yet that I could travel the world to visit anyone at no cost, right? Your kids are adorable and seeing them makes me miss them. Its like watching a mirror image of Jake and Natalie running around in Germany. Now that Jess is in kindergarten, they are getting pretty close! Love ya!